Women’s health physiotherapy
Women’s health physiotherapy is the specialist assessment and treatment of all disorders affecting the pelvis and pelvic floor. From pregnancy related aches and pains, to incontinence, prolapse or bowel complaints.
Women’s health physiotherapy at Carmenta Life provides a professional holistic approach focusing on you as an individual to help improve your health, fitness and wellbeing.
Some benefits of women’s health physiotherapy
- To reduce pain, restore and/or improve your function from a variety of conditions
- Enable you to be confident and increase your activity both in pregnancy and in the postnatal period
- Help to keep you dry on coughing or sneezing
- Improve and manage prolapse symptoms and reduce any feelings of discomfort
Main conditions that are treated
- Antenatal and postnatal rehabilitation
- Postnatal ‘MOTs’ – one hour postnatal assessment including checking your pelvic floor strength, tummy gap and providing a bespoke recovery plan
- Pelvic girdle pain
- Pregnancy related carpal tunnel syndrome
- Pelvic floor concerns including pain on intercourse
- Rehabilitation post gynaecological surgery
Some treatments can include:
Exercise prescription, manual therapy, acupuncture, soft tissue massage, trigger point release, pilates, pelvic floor re-education, neuromuscular stimulation and dilators.
Emma qualified as a Physiotherapist from the University of Southampton in 2007 and has since worked in both the NHS and private sector in and around London. Emma specialises in women’s health physiotherapy and is currently the Team Lead at University College London Hospital, where she completed extensive post graduate training and has advanced experience in assessment of the pelvic floor, antenatal and postnatal care, acupuncture, pilates and sports massage. Emma treats a comprehensive range of conditions in women of all ages, providing a caring, hands-on approach and brings both this expertise and passion to Carmenta Life Medical.
- Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP)
- Health Professional Council (HPC)
- Affiliated member of Pelvic Obstetric and Gynaecological Physiotherapy
Emma lives in Berkhamsted with her husband and baby daughter. She enjoys challenges and being outdoors – marathons, travelling, trekking or simply enjoying a Sunday family walk.
Saturdays and midweek appointments available.
Appointments can be made via Carmenta Life or directly with Emma via email/telephone, where she is also happy to receive any queries you may have.
Details of what to expect at your first appointment will be sent out to you prior to your assessment.
New patient appointment (1 hour) – call for further info
Follow-up appointment (30 mins) – call for further info
Postnatal MOT (1 hour) – call for further info
‘Emma provided me with a 10/10 consultation. She was extremely through, caring, professional and was an exceptionally good example of what a women’s health physio should be! Thank you so much.’
Mrs B Wicks ( postnatal pelvic floor rehabilitation 2014)
‘Dear Emma, thank you for all your help. I was very sceptical on my first appointment as there were so many different factors in my problem. I am so pleased with the outcome. You are very patient and thank you for explaining things so well.’
Mrs R Davies (Treatment for urinary stress incontinence 2015)
Mobile: 07920 095 005