Oncology Massage, also known as Manual Lymphatic Drainage, is a specialist technique designed to relieve the symptoms of cancer or the side effects of conventional cancer treatments. Additionally, it has proven helpful to relieve a range of other conditions from autoimmune conditions to stress and hypertension.
Customised for each client, this massage uses gentle, rhythmic, light pressure that stimulates the lymphatic system helping fluid and waste leave the body. As a compassionate approach to massage therapy, it relaxes the sympathetic nervous system, reduces pain and enhances the activity of the immune system.
This gentle massage technique was primarily designed for lymphoedema management. However, it also has proven helpful for the following conditions:
- Autoimmune conditions: Rheumatoid Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Lupus
- Stress and Hypertension
- Sinusitis, Bronchitis, Tonsillitis and Laryngitis
- Pregnancy and Post-Surgical Swelling
Significant research has been undertaken to understand its effectiveness and can be accessed here.
Benefits of services:
By stimulating the lymphatic system through light pressure, the massage can:
- Boost the immune system
- Eliminate toxins and clear blockages
- Reduce puffiness and swelling caused by lymphedema, surgery or arthritis
- Relieve pain
- Provide deep relaxation to aid insomnia, anxiety and depression
- Reduction of symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia
- Treatment and control of lymphoedema
“Being in remission (4 months), following chemotherapy treatment for lymphoma, it was wonderful to be able to access a safe treatment and by such a caring therapist who clearly believes in the difference it can make to the quality of life of her clients. After only a few treatments, I have noticed the difference it has made to my health and well-being. After Michelle’s treatments, I have felt energized and have almost a ‘buzzy’ sensation. I have felt calmer and for the first time in over two years slept soundly. The treatment also seemed to act as a detox.”
– Angela, Hemel Hempstead
- Diploma in Oncology Massage, Federation of Holistic Therapists (FHT)
- Diploma in Manual Lymphatic Drainage, Federation of Holistic Therapists (FHT)
- Member of the Federation of Holistic Therapists UK